Leaders work hard to make the group stronger.
Officers are the elected leaders of the group.
Members pick these officers when they vote.
Officers help run the meetings that keep you on track to reach your group goals.
No matter how you choose your leaders, a good leader brings people together.
To be a leader you must:
- Have a positive attitude
- Care about people
- Want to help people
- Be kind and polite to others
- Listen to others and what they have to say
- Give everyone a chance to speak
- Respect other people’s ideas
- Find a way for everyone to be a part of the group
- Encourage other members to become leaders. Show them how to lead!
- Be on time to the meetings
- Meet with the other officers to plan the agenda
Activity: Good Leaders and Officers
It is important to pick leaders and officers that will help your group grow and reach your goals. Think about the type of leader you would want in your group.
Talk with your group about the type of leaders you want. Try this activity with your group!
- On a big piece of paper or whiteboard, work together as a group to write down all the qualities you are looking for in a good leader.
- Once you have finished writing down all the qualities, take turns and circle three things you are looking for in a good leader. It’s okay if people choose the same qualities.
- As a group, talk about why you picked those qualities in a leader.