- Census: 18. Buildings and grounds conducted, and MARs checked for 5 clients.
- TA –
- R911.15.f – Tie strings found in shorts. House staff advised to search each room and remove all clothing items that had drawstrings.
- ER Visit (Accidental Injury)
- Client was playing recreational game when he fell and hurt his arm. Client was taken to Dallas Co. ER, then to ACH for treatment. AR Children’s Hospital: Closed fracture of distal end of left radius, unspecified fracture morphology. Closed reduction performed under deep sedation. Agency will continue to monitor client.
On 2/14/22 at approximately 2259 hours, officer was dispatched to facility for escapee. Staff stated juvenile was last seen around 2215 hours. On 2/15/22, staff advised PD that juvenile had returned around 0623 that morning.
Staff advised officer at approximately 2300 that juvenile ran away from Oak Creek on Cadiz St. Staff called back at approximately 2341 and requested to know when the juvenile was found.
At approximately 1738, staff requested officer to facility for 3 runaway juveniles. At approximately 1932 hours, officer was advised by dispatch that all juveniles had been apprehended by facility staff.
Census: 161. Buildings and grounds conducted for PRTF buildings; No regs out of compliance. MARs checked for 5 residents.
Staff called to report a runaway juvenile at 2036, stating he had ran away about 10-15 minutes prior. At 2100, staff advised they had caught the juvenile.
Staff reported missing juveniles at 1739. Staff could not provide complete descriptions. Upon arrival, staff stated they had both subjects in custody (at approximately 1755).
Staff reported missing juvenile at 1755 and stated they didn’t know what time he left. Juvenile was located by police at 1841 and was picked up by staff.
Buildings and grounds completed; Census 221. MARs were reviewed for 6 residents. No concerns noted
Complaint #AR00027389 substantiated, all or in part, with no deficiencies cited.
Records review conducted for 10 employees. No issues found.
Staff reported they have 2 male escapees but before police got descriptions they had been found. Staff reported they had 7 clients that were having behavior issues and attempting to damage property. Later staff called back to report juvenile had broken a rear window on staff member’s car with a sign.
- Client became upset when 2 peers disclosed something that she said to a supervisor; Client entered bathroom and punched the wall with her fist. Client was taken to ER for X-ray: No fracture.
- No video footage available of the incident.
- Included: IOC (revised), Reconsideration Determination Letter
- Multiple deficiencies noted. Plan of Correction required to be completed within 30 days.
- Suicide Attempt
- Client became upset and went to her room; Client remained in her room while unit left for cafeteria. Client took her clothes off, found a phone charge cord in the hallway and tied it around her neck. She stated she did this because she heard a voice telling her to. Upon noticing she was not with the group, staff came back to unit to discover her condition in the bedroom. Client was placed on suicide prevention precautions.
- Staff members involved were placed on administrative leave as an investigation was conducted. In-services are being completed campus-wide in relation to head counts, documentation, informational handoffs, staff to patient ratio/supervision, cell phone usage/security. Child Abuse Hotline was called, not accepted. No video footage available of the incident.
Complaint #AR00027235 unsubstantiated.
- Restraint Injury
- After client attempted to hit staff with a loose board from the playground equipment, client was placed in a restraint. Client complained of pain to left ankle, originally stating that he twisted his ankle when he fell, and later stated that staff rolled over his ankle while placing him in a restraint. Client stated that he is not sure what happened, but he didn’t think that staff member intentionally hurt him. Client was sent to ER for X-ray: Closed fracture to left navicular bone. Patient placed in short leg cast.
- After specialist follow-up, facility staff stated that the playground equipment is old and is more than likely going to be removed. Names of staff involved in incident were provided. No camera footage available. Specialist followed up on equipment removal via email.
Officers were dispatched for 3 runaway Juveniles from facility. Upon arrival, Officer saw 2 females on the ground with 2 staff members restraining them. J1 was fighting with staff member trying to get free. Officer placed both Juveniles in handcuffs and in patrol unit. J1 stated staff member choked her; Officer advised staff member did not. Officer states staff had J1s arms crossed on her chest and restraining them down on her chest to keep her from escaping again. No marks found on J1. Officer transported the 2 Juveniles back to facility.
- Client reported that after jumping into an argument between his peers, staff pushed him, so he pushed staff back. Client stated that staff grabbed him by the neck and slammed him to the floor which led to a restraint joined by the rest of the staff members. Client stated that the staff threatened that he would have him moved to another unit so that other patients would jump him.
- Staff member was put on leave pending the investigation. Child Abuse Hotline was called and accepted, unfounded. Specialist requested video footage and facility stated that it was saved for review. On 10/14/21, Specialist was advised that staff is still on leave/working in another capacity. No further follow-up details.
- Client stated that staff member squeezed her in between 2 chairs and that she cried out that she couldn’t breathe. Client stated that staff told her to go to her room and staff came to her room and choked her. Client noted to have slight bruise on left inner foot with small swelling noted.
- Staff placed on leave pending investigation. Staff remains on leave as of 10/14/21. Child Abuse Hotline called and accepted, unfounded. There is no video footage of the incident. As of 10/14/21, staff advised they were waiting for CACD to finish their investigation.
Officer was dispatched to facility at approximately 2010 hours for 3 runaway juveniles. Staff stated the juveniles ran into the woods. At approximately 2118 hours, Officer was advised that staff with Millcreek stated they had all 3 juveniles back at the facility. Nurse later reported to Officer that individual had called stating her mother’s phone had pinged at Millcreek, and staff then found the phone on one of the runaway juveniles.
- Regs out of compliance –
- R911.6 – Plug cover in Penguin Hall day room and shower were inoperable; Baseboard in Flamingo Hall needs to be replaced; Shower inoperable in Zebra Hall; Replace wet and missing ceiling tiles in Deerfield; Hole in bedroom wall in Magnolia Hall; Switch covers loose in rooms 6 and 2 in Rock Hill; Showerhead loose in bathroom #2 and inoperable in bathroom #3 in Pine Ridge.
- R914.4 – Rock Hill room #3 smoke detector inoperable.
- R911.15.f – Drawstrings and/or shoestrings were present in Zebra Hall room, Tiger Hall rooms, and Rock Hill room.
- R912.2 – Only 1 out of 3 showers operable for 16 kids.
- R9095.4.h – Licensing staff heard a female staff member in Tiger Hall yelling at patient and this led to the escalation of the situation. Staff should be retrained on this standard.
- R910.1 – Outbuildings on the grounds near cottages need to be secured.
- R912.6 – Paper towel holders would not close and were empty at the boy’s school.
- R908.9 – While checking the MAR at nurse’s station for Eagle, Kangaroo, and Tiger wing, MAR was checked for 5 children and proof of meds being given was not present on the 14th of August for 3 of the kids. The nurse was not aware of why this was not documented.
Officer was dispatched at approximately 2015 hours for Juvenile that ran from facility. Staff stated that at approximately 7:25pm, Juvenile slammed door and took off running from facility. At approximately 2135 hours, Officer was patrolling area when Millcreek staff flagged him down and advised they had found the Juvenile and were bringing him back to facility. Officer checked on Juvenile, who stated he ran away because he wanted to talk to someone.
Caller stated her daughter had been bullied at Millcreek since arriving there on 8/9/21. Juvenile stated that her roommate grabbed both her arms and pulled her off the bed. Juvenile also stated she did an incident report but no one followed up or did anything about it. Juvenile also stated a group of girls came to her yelling that she had chores to do and if she didn’t no one was going to the talent show. Juvenile stated she hasn’t been sleeping or eating, and that she didn’t want to be at Millcreek anymore.